Monday, April 13, 2009

West Coast Coppers

Since everything about this blog has copped West Coast's style, I shall not stop now. In typical West Coast fashion, I will be hosting a selection show for my graduate school of choice. Until that point, I will keep you updated on the hottest news regarding my collegiate status.

J-FREE GETS RECRUITED PART 1

For those of you who don't know, I am seeking to use my fifth year of football eligibility to go to grad school and hopefully get a scholarship to work towards my MBA. So I am being actively recruited by about 20 schools now. So here is a Lunardi/Scout.com-style breakdown of my recruitment.

As of right now, no definitive financial offers have been given, and that will be obviously make a large impact on my decision. Offers are expected to arrive as early as this week. Check daily for updates.

High Interest
West Virginia Wesleyan College - Buckhannon, WV - Coach has been talking business from the get-go. No question he wants my services and as a "fully-funded" school would most likely be able to offer a full scholarship. Perhaps most importantly, he thinks he can get me an MBA in one year which would be phenomenal. I expect to hear from him soon.

Valdosta State University - Valdosta, GA - One of the first to contact me, Coach has been very enthusiastic before and after receiving my film. He also thinks that I coule fit in during my second year of grad school as an assistant coach or possibly a grad assistant. Also, Valdosta is ESPN's TitleTown USA and a factory for producing coaches.

Southwest Baptist University - Bolivar, MO - Recent addition that has gone through all the appropriate channels for recruiting, including a request for release from Duke. I like their offensive style and the fact that it is a baptist school.

Medium Interest
American International College - Springfield, MA - An early contact - haven't heard from them since the film was sent.

Lincoln University - Jefferson City, MO - Talked to Coach today, the film should be getttin there any time now and will be able to talk business after that.

Tiffin University - Tiffin, OH - Coach has been in high contact lately. We will see how the money looks.

Harding University - Searcy, AR - Coach just got my film and e-mailed me saying he wants me on their team. I expect a phone call tomorrow so maybe we can iron out some details.

North Greenville University - Tigerville, SC - Talked to the coach today. The school seems like a good fit, but the coach wasn't all that friendly.

Mercyhurst College - Erie, PA - Really like the coach. He is a Carolina guy and knows Dreke and a few of my former coaches. Although they don't have an MBA, they have a masters in Organizational Management and also one that produces CIA members apparently. That could be decent I guess.

Low Interest
Chowan University - Murfreesboro, NC - Despite the correlation with the name of this blog to the hometown of the school and the closeness to home, I likely won't attend because of the lack of a graduate program. However, the second degree in graphic arts seems like an acceptable alternative.

Pace University - New York City, NY - Haven't heard from these guys in a while. Will it change once they see my film? We will see.

UNC Pembroke - Pembroke, NC - These guys seem intersted but Indians kinda scare my mom.

Findlay University -Findlay, OH - Just got brief interest from these guys not long ago so I sent the film to them. Their record was not great last year but their basketball team just won the d2 national championship.

Urbana College - Urbana, OH - They just called me today and requested my film. I don't know if they will be able to put in an offer in enough time to compete.

On the Bubble - Fayetteville State University, University of North Alabama, Catawba College, Lenoir-Rhyne College, Mars Hill College, Wingate University

Last Two In: Southwest Baptist University, North Greenville University
Last Two Out: Mars Hill College (no grad school), Fayetteville State University (how will J-Free do at a HBCU)
Next Two Up: Any NC school that replies, American International College
Next Two Down: Pace University, Urbana College

2 comments:

Followers

About Me

My name is Justin Freeman and I played football at Hertford County High School until 2004 and graduated in 2005. I then walked on and played at Duke University and played 2005-2008 and graduated May 2009. I played under Ted Roof (3 years) and David Cutcliffe (1 year). I coached at Duke for a semester until I graduated. After that, I enrolled in the MBA program at ECU and coached the offensive line as a student assistant under Coach Holtz' staff. I spent a few months with Coach McNeill's staff before deciding to pursue other options. I am very familiar with the various D-1 football programs in NC as a player and as a coach and felt the need to start this site to give a little insight.